Get on the agenda
by Gloria Derrough Bayside
Feb 15, 2013 | 903 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Citizens of the town of Bayside on Friday, Feb. 8, a meeting was held at the community center in Bayside, the mayor opened the meeting by cancelling a planning commission meeting stating it had not been posted.

Prior to the meeting several planning commission persons, and the mayor were advised any meeting not properly posted would be illegal under the open meetings act, but the mayor continued the meeting by stating they would have a discussion. The planning commission and the mayor went on to conduct the discussion. The meeting was continued with a gentleman who has property outside the city limits wanting city utilities to his property to open a travel trailer park.

Questions and answers were then taken. Several council members and the town office were not aware of this meeting until a citizen called the city office to find out about the meeting which was in an article in the newspaper referring to a meeting, but no time was stated. The town has not been able to provide water to all the citizens inside the city limits let alone outside the city limits for a commercial business.

We currently have a new travel trailer park being built inside the city limits that will be getting city utilities which will add more connects to the towns water supply. The town should be concerned with wanting to make sure it is able to continue providing citizens inside the city limits with ample clean and healthy water to be able to grow within the towns city limits. I am all for new business, but let’s do it the legal way and listen to what the citizens of Bayside have to say. Many citizens thought they had stated what they wanted at the last town council meeting and this matter was closed. The council voted not to give the park town utilities.

The gentleman was not at the council meeting to be asked any questions. If the gentleman wants to meet with the city council and give his presentation call the office and get on the next agenda and if the citizens are willing to share water and sewer with residents and businesses outside the city limits so be it, just do it the legal way so all citizens who are interested can attend and be heard.

The planning committee and city council represents the citizens so let your voices be heard one way or the other. Don’t allow the town to conduct illegal meetings. Call the city office and ask when they will be having a legal meeting about this, because they are planning another meeting.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet