Hermine is all huff, little puff
by Gary Kent
Sep 08, 2010 | 1468 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Beeville Police Department Sgt. Chris Vasquez dons the hood of his raincoat Tuesday morning as he waits for a city crew to arrive at the 1300 block of West Milam Street to remove a fallen tree from the road. Vasquez said he checked the Beeville’s most troublesome high water spots and found nothing that would have interfered with the movement of traffic.
view slideshow (4 images)
Tropical Storm Hermine was not expected to track as far north as it did when it came ashore on the Texas coast of the Gulf of Mexico early Tuesday morning.

However, by 10 a.m., the eye of the storm had skirted western Bee County, dumping as much as three inches of rain and more on parts of the county and bringing winds of from 35 to more than 50 mph.

The area was under a tornado warning but no twisters were reported in the area.

Harold Ashley of American Electric Power said Tuesday afternoon that as many as 1,000 of the company’s customers lost power by the time the storm passed.

Ashley said gusting winds were responsible for all the electrical problems but customers had power again by noon or shortly after.

Some parts of town, like some neighborhoods in the area of North St. Mary’s Street, had to wait a little longer for power to be restored because the problems were more complicated and took longer to repair.

AEP electricians were out in force from about 4 a.m. Tuesday through the afternoon, Ashley said.

At least 450 customers lost power in Beeville proper and another 300 lost power in the Pettus area. That was the part of the county that suffered the worst power outages, Ashley said.

In Live Oak County, where the eye of the storm passed, the winds knocked out even more customers, mostly in George West and Three Rivers.

The eye of the storm passed directly over Alice shortly after 8 a.m. Tuesday, according to weather reports.

Beeville residents reported getting an average of 2.5 inches of rain, starting Monday evening as the first bands of the storm started coming ashore.

City and county street crews were on the road quickly clearing debris from streets and highways.

Beeville Police Sgt. Chris Vasquez said he checked the places where high water usually causes the most trouble, including the Poesta Creek area of South Tyler Street. However, there was never any threat that city streets would have to be shut down to traffic because of rising water.

Just as the high winds started reaching Beeville, Fire Chief Donald Morris put his firemen on notice to watch for downed power lines and high water.

However, firemen were not called into action at all during the height of the storm.

Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at reporter@mySouTex.com.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet