directory
Second suspect in Skidmore robbery ends up in custody
by Gary Kent
Nov 19, 2008 | 2618 views | 3 3 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Daniel E. DeLeon
view image
A 20-year-old Sinton man is in custody at the Bee County Jail this week facing charges of aggravated robbery and evading arrest.

Deputy Capt. Dan Caddell said Monday that Daniel E. DeLeon is the second of two suspects believed to have been involved in a Nov. 8 armed robbery of Papa’s Market in Skidmore.

Caddell said DeLeon was taken into custody by Luling Police Department officers in that city on Nov. 13. He was staying with family members there at the time of his arrest.

Thomas Anthony Gallegos, 24, was arrested in Sinton the night of the robbery by San Patricio County deputies after they spotted a dark-colored SUV that matched the description of the vehicle in which the suspects fled from Skidmore at the time of the robbery.

Both men fled to a residence in Sinton and attempted to escape from the deputies on foot. Gallegos was captured but DeLeon managed to escape.

DeLeon was taken into custody on an arrest warrant issued by Justice of the Peace David Garza. Bonds on both suspects were set at $100,000 on each charge.

Gallegos still is in custody at the San Patricio County Jail where he faces other charges.

Caddell said the two men also are suspected of having been involved in the robbery of another convenience store in Aransas Pass earlier in the evening of the Skidmore robbery.

Victims in the Skidmore incident said the two men entered the store armed with a pistol and a knife and the gunman fired a shot during the robbery.

Aggravated robbery is a first-degree felony. If the men are convicted of the offense, they could be sentenced to from five to 99 years or life in prison and a fine of as much as $10,000.

Evading arrest is a state jail felony punishable by a term of from six months to two years in a state jail facility and a fine of as much as $10,000.

Comments
(3)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
beeville
|
November 20, 2008
Still no arrest has been made or charges filed in the case of the armed attack on the kids. Until law enforcement files charges, the name is not legally considered public information and publishing such has been construed as in Texas as invasion of privacy.

Photos, or mugshots, of arrested individuals are part of the public record and supplied by law enforcement. The newspaper does not send a photographer to the jail to selectively photograph individuals.

Since there has been no arrest yet made in the case of the armed confrontation with the kids, no one has been booked or photographed. An updated story on the incident was published in the Wednesday Bee-Picayune.

Finally, if the newspaper was trying to hide the story on the "white male lugnut that pulled the gun on those kids" as some have commented, why was it published at the top of Saturday's front page in a box? Sometimes it's not a conspiracy. Sometimes there's a simple answer. The newspaper is pursuing the unsettling story and publishing what information it legally has obtained.

Know Better
|
November 19, 2008
There we go-theres the name and picture of the hispanic criminal-what happened with The past story of the white male lugnut that pulled the gun on those kids and still no name released or picture-How convenient!!
Know Better
|
November 19, 2008
What a complete idiot? Where do they breed these losers from? Get a job or something!