First, I made my favorite dessert, strawberry shortcake. This is the best dessert to take to a pot luck because it is so easy to throw together. Just chop your strawberries, add a splash of orange juice, some sugar, stir and place in the refrigerator for several hours. Serve with slices of angel food cake and heavy cream that has been whipped with powdered sugar and a bit of vanilla or vanilla bean paste. I could make myself sick on this.
For the Garden Club ladies that came over last week, I made this strawberry bread. Actually I made two loaves. On one I put the cream cheese/strawberry glaze and for the other one, I made a strawberry butter.
I was a bit disappointed in the strawberry butter as it didn’t get smooth and creamy because I didn’t mix it in the blender as suggested. But the next morning we had it on hot biscuits and, let me tell you, even Bil was impressed. No more store-bought strawberry jam is coming in this house after having that fresh strawberry taste.
Just mix a couple of sticks of soft butter with lots of fresh chopped strawberries and a bit of powdered sugar and beat the heck out of it with a mixer. Store in the refrigerator until you have hot biscuits to put it on. It is amazing!
Now I’m thinking of making blueberry butter next, or peach butter, or raspberry butter. The list is endless!
• 1 heaping cup chopped strawberries
• 2 tbsp. flour
• 1 stick butter, room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1½ tsp. vanilla
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ cup milk
• 1¾ cups flour
• Preheat oven to 350.
• Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
• In a small bowl, mix the strawberries and 2 tbsp. of flour together and set aside.
• In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together for several minutes.
• Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
• Stir together the dry ingredients and mix into the batter alternately with the milk.
• Mix until smooth.
• Gently fold in the strawberries and pour batter into the prepared pan.
• Bake 45-55 minutes, until the center is set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
• Let sit in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool.
• ½ cup chopped strawberries
• 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
• ½ cup powdered sugar
• Beat together well.
• Add a splash of milk if it needs to be thinned out enough to pour over the bread.
• Garnish with more chopped strawberries.