Murder suspect caught crossing border
by Joe Baker
Sep 27, 2012 | 9313 views | 0 0 comments | 17 17 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Alfredo Vanegas
Alfredo Vanegas
KENEDY – A murder suspect accused of killing a man in Kenedy on July 1, who has been in hiding for more than two months was taken into custody by authorities at the Mexico border Sept. 15.

Alfredo Saldana Vanegas, 23, of Floresville has been wanted by Kenedy police since the July 1 homicide.

According to Kenedy Police Detective Felix Casanova, a call was received letting police know that U.S. Customs had a hit confirmation on Vanegas asking if the warrant was still outstanding.

Kenedy police let them know that warrant was outstanding and began making arrangements for extradition.

“They took him into custody while he was crossing the border back into the United States,” Casanova explained.

Casanova and Texas Ranger Keith Pauska traveled on Sept. 18 to Laredo and picked up Vanegas at the Webb County Jail for extradition to Karnes County. Vanegas was booked into the Karnes County Jail and charged with murder.

On July 1, Kenedy police officers responded to the scene in the 100 block of Evans Street in response to an injury report. When they arrived they saw individuals on scene administering first aid to a man who appeared to be the victim of an assault and stabbing.

Police say the victim, David Gonzales, 24, originally from Richwood, Texas, was an oilfield worker who had recently moved to Kenedy.

According to information gathered by police, Gonzales and a woman were sitting in a car parked in front of a residence on Evans Street when the attack happened. Police say that Gonzales had given the woman a ride to where she was staying that night.

At about 3:38 a.m., Vanegas approached the car and began assaulting and stabbing Gonzales, police said.

It is unclear what exactly is the nature of the relationship between Vanegas and the woman in the car, but the two have a child together, according to information from police. The woman has family members who live at the house on Evans Street, police said.

After the assault and stabbing, Vanegas and another man then left the scene in a red Chevrolet four-door pickup, police said.

Gonzales was transported to Otto Kaiser Memorial Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Police recovered the pickup the next day and were able to process it for evidence.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet