“The fire started on the back porch with some sort of electrical device,” Stewart said.
The home belongs Rosie Garcia; she and her dog were home when the fire started but they managed to escape unharmed.
Fire Chief Stewart was the first to notice the fire. He contacted the Live Oak County dispatchers at 12:55 p.m. to report “a structure was on fire at the back of the Three Rivers Fire Department [Jim Gooch Street] and he will be en route.”
The George West Fire Department responded to the scene as well as Three Rivers Police Chief Vance Roberts and Cpl. J.R. Rodriguez.
Chief Roberts secured the home and advised all people were out of the residence within five minutes of the call. EMS personnel were on standby and AEP (American Electric Power) was contacted as well.
Firemen put out the blaze on one end of the mobile home and then another blaze popped up at the other end of the home. Despite the steady rain, it took approximately an hour and a half before the fire was completely extinguished and the firemen went home.
The back porch device that sparked the fire has not been identified. The device may have been a heating unit for a pet. However, Stewart said he cannot give a definitive explanation for the blaze as he has not been able to contact Garcia.
The temperature on Friday averaged 47°F with rain throughout the day and winds from the northeast averaging five to 10 mph.