While in front of what was formerly El Rio Theater in downtown Beeville, the couple decided to wed. Shortly after the nuptials on Aug. 26, 1950, the young couple moved to San Antonio and settled in a small country community outside of the city by Calaveras Lake. Mr. Perez took a job at Kelly Air Force Base, while Mrs. Perez became a housewife and a young mother.
Each of their eight children grew up and graduated from East Central High School. Upon her children beginning school, Mrs. Perez joined the workforce to help support her family. After working for many years, both husband and wife retired in 1997.
Today, the couple enjoy their 12 grand-children and 19 great-grandchildren, volunteer at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church and tend their ever-growing vegetable garden.
When asked how they have done it for all of these years, Mrs. Perez responds with a smile, “with lots of patience and even more prayer.”