Texas junior and high school students (grades 7-12) are invited to submit a piece of original fiction, no more than 2,000 words in length. Entries must be submitted online via the form on the Texas Book Festival’s website no later than July 27, 2013. Submitted entries are considered in three divisions: grades 7-8, grades 9-10 and grades 11-12.
Winners in each division will receive a cash prize: $250 for first place, $100 for second and $50 for third. In addition, first place winners will be awarded a plaque, will have stories published on the Texas Book Festival website and will be invited to participate on a panel during the annual fall Festival weekend Oct. 26-27. Accommodations for one night will be provided for the first-place winners and their family.
1. Students must enter in one of three divisions: grades 7-8, grades 9-10, or grades 11-12. Authors enter the division for which they were a student during the 2012-2013 academic year.
2. Schools are limited to three entries per division. There is no entry fee.
3. Entries must be 2,000 words or less, 12 point type, double-spaced, and written on the theme “From the Back of the Truck.”
4. Entries must include student’s name, entry title, grade level and the word count on the cover page.
5. All entries must be submitted online between May 1 and July 27, 2013.
6. The submissions will be judged by educators, authors and community leaders.
7. Judges will look for excellence in use of dialogue, imagery, character development, setting, plot, conflict and resolution.
8. Winners will be notified by Oct. 1, 2013.
Since 2001, the Texas Book Festival has partnered with UIL to host its annual Fiction Writing Contest. The mission of the Texas Book Festival is to celebrate authors and their contributions to the culture of literacy, ideas and imagination. The contest serves to promote that culture to students across Texas and to educate them on the opportunities available to writers.
For more information about the Fiction Writing Contest or to submit entries, visit texasbookfestival.org/Fiction_Contest.php or contact Kendall Miller, (512) 477-4055, email@example.com.