directory
Restaurant to be rebuilt by August
by Tim Delaney
Apr 26, 2013 | 2532 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Kristin McGee photo
An excavator demolishes the McDonald's Restaurant at 427 North Alamo St. on Wednesday, April 17. A new McDonald's will be constructed in its place with more conveniences and upgrades.
Kristin McGee photo An excavator demolishes the McDonald's Restaurant at 427 North Alamo St. on Wednesday, April 17. A new McDonald's will be constructed in its place with more conveniences and upgrades.
slideshow
REFUGIO – The demolition took all of a day to bring down McDonald’s Restaurant on Wednesday, April 17.

Randy Cothes, owner and operator of the Refugio restaurant, said the time had come to upgrade and redo the place.

“We’re going to rebuild,” Cothes said.

Cothes estimated the project would be finished in the first part of August “depending on weather.”

He said storms could create issues with the projected times, but overall, the new restaurant will take three to four months.

Built in October 1999, the restaurant’s main lacking was one stall in each of the rest rooms.

Cothes said that had been the main complaint, and during holidays, people could be seen standing in long lines.

“Instead of one, we will have three for women and two for men,” Cothes said.

He said the seating inside would be about the same at 56 seats, but outside would be different.

Planned is a double drive-through, so two orders could be taken at a time.

Cothes said a break area for employees will be added, too.

Also inside, customers will place an order at the register and get a pickup point. The lobby will have the latest McDonald’s decor.

Cothes said about 60 percent of his business was drive-through, so the increased capacity will serve those customers faster.

Also, when the restaurant reopens, 55 employees will be needed.

Current employees were give the opportunity to go to three other McDonald’s: free-standing store in Beeville, McDonald’s in Walmart and one in Three Rivers.

Cothes said he wasn’t at liberty to say how much the project will cost, but he said it was expensive, including the lost revenue while rebuilding.

He said the rebuilding project had to be done.

“The 1999 store was strictly a small town lower volume type store. The rest room situation cost us more revenue than anything,” he said.

But the old restaurant also had minimal storage area.

“It was good when it started 14 years ago. We had to do something,” he added.

“It’ll open back up pretty quick.”
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet