Ingleside deaths shock county residents
by Tim Delaney
Jun 20, 2013 | 4100 views | 2 2 comments | 67 67 recommendations | email to a friend | print
BAYSIDE – Friends of Jerry Wolfshohl were saddened to hear of her death last Saturday night, June 15.

Wolfshohl, an Ingleside resident, former Bayside City Councilwoman and Woodsboro native, was shot in the forehead by her husband James “Bubba” Wolfshohl, who then shot himself with a small pistol.

According to a press release from the Ingleside Police Department, police officers “were dispatched to a single family residence in the 2000 block of La Quinta,” responding to a 911 call made Saturday night.

Jerry Wolfshohl had called 911 to say her husband was going to kill her.

“While the communications operator was gathering details from the caller, she heard what sounded like a single gunshot, and the call was disconnected,” according to the press release.

Meanwhile, Jerry Wolfshohl’s husband, James “Bubba” Wolfshohl had called his son in Corpus Christi to tell him he killed his wife.

The son called 911, and that call was transferred to Ingleside.

When police arrived at the residence, James Wolfshohl greeted them at the door with a small handgun in his hand.

“The male individual, as the officers gave him orders to drop the gun, walked around an interior corner, and a single gunshot was heard,” the press release stated.

James had a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. And Jerry Wolfshohl was found sitting in a chair in the living room with a gunshot wound to the forehead area.

“Tri-County EMS arrived on scene, and the female was transported to Memorial Hospital; the male subject was pronounced deceased on the scene by Justice of the Peace Charlene Lewis,” according to the press release.

Jerry Wolfshohl died that night at Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial.

“I couldn’t believe it,” said Mike Brown, a friend of the Wolfshohls.

“All my kiddies knew her. When they’d have a barbecue, she would always make a special little area for them with puzzles and activities,” Brown said.

“They were good friends,” he added.

Other Bayside residents agree the family moved to Bayside in 1992. In 1993, Jerry Wolfshohl was elected to the Bayside City Council.

Brown remembered that the couple was filled with grief over the death of their 13-year-old son, who died in a three-wheeler accident before they moved to Bayside.

“I never saw anger between them, but they had deep-rooted mental situations out of grief,” Brown said.

Brown said he believes the death of their son caused them to begin reaching disagreements.

Sally Crofutt also fondly remembers Jerry Wolfshohl.

“My first impression of Jerry was that she was hilarious,” Crofutt said.

“She had this deep Southern drawl, and it made even the simplest thing funny,” she said.

“She was a wonderful support person. When Larry Crofutt (Sally’s brother) was sick, he dreamed of lemon pie, and she came up with 10 pieces of lemon pie,” she said.

Crofutt said Jerry was “involved” in many things, including the VFW. During her time in Bayside, she worked at Chris Nayor’s fish house, Crofutt’s Sandwich and Bakery and the Bayside Express.

“It was heartbreaking to hear of her death. I always enjoyed her,” Crofutt said.

Larry Crofutt fondly remembers Jerry, who worked at Crofutt’s when he was owner and manager there.

“She was really up and a lot of fun to be at work with,” Larry Croifutt said.

“She was a really good friend. Both her and Bubba were good friends of mine,” he said.

Larry Crofutt said he would go to get-togethers sometime with the Wolfshohls, but he never suspected that they were having problems.

“This whole thing makes me want to cry,’ he added.

Jerry Wolfshohl did not finish her term on the city council. Half way through, her family moved to Woodsboro in 1994.

Chris Naylor said he grew up with the Wolfshohls.

“We were raised in Woodsboro,” Naylor said. “I went to school with him from day one.”

Naylor said James “Bubba” Wolfshohl and Jerry Wolfshohl “were as good as gold.”

“It was not in his nature. It’s just not him. They crossed somewhere,” Naylor said.

“There were married since they were in high school. It’s just out of character,” he added.

Naylor said the couple moved to Bayside from Flour Bluff. From Bayside, they had moved back to Woodsboro and on to Ingleside at some point.

“He was big in the oil and gas industry. So it wasn’t finances,” Naylor said.

“I just couldn’t believe it. I’m still trying to figure it out.”
Comments-icon Post a Comment
June 20, 2013
Bub and Jerry were decent, honorable folk. This unfathomable tragedy does not decrease the significance of their good works. Both will be sorely missed.
July 07, 2013
GUNS DO KILL AND THEY CAN'T KILL WITHOUT BEING IN THE HAND OF THE KILLER! I grew up in Woodsboro, and moved back here to be closer to Family. But I am ready to sell my home and go live in the states who have turned their guns in and they were melted down. I knew the people killed since I was a child......My prayers are with all who have guns in their home that they will turn to God and not their Guns. Amen!