Deputies unsuccessfully try to stop man from shooting himself
by Gary Kent
Mar 20, 2013 | 10042 views | 0 0 comments | 23 23 recommendations | email to a friend | print
BEEVILLE — Bee County deputies stood in disbelief Sunday evening as a 33-year-old man shot himself as they tried to stop him.

Lt. Ronnie Jones of the Bee County Sheriff’s Office reported that Sgt. Kevin Behr was sent to the scene of a vehicle accident on FM Road 3355 (Charco Road) at about 6:20 p.m. on March 17.

Behr arrived to find that two vehicles had crashed head-on in the roadway and the 33-year-old holding a handgun threatening to shoot himself.

Other law enforcement officers from the sheriff’s office, Beeville Police Department and Highway Patrol arrived at the scene.

Behr tried to get the man to put down the gun but was unsuccessful.

The victim was rushed to Christus Spohn Hospital Beeville by emergency medical service technicians with the Angel Care Ambulance Service. He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the emergency room.

Deputy Investigator Lt. John L. Davis said an investigation revealed that the victim had left a note and other evidence in his vehicle that indicated he had planned to take his own life.

The man and his girlfriend also had a history of relationship problems.

According to information gathered at the scene, the victim was driving east on FM 3355 with his four children in the vehicle when he apparently saw his girlfriend coming the other way. The man crossed the center line and struck her vehicle almost head-on.

The report said several motorists stopped to render aid, saw the man holding a handgun and ordering the woman to come to him.

Shortly after Behr arrived, bystanders were able to get the woman and the children away from the scene.

Davis said Investigator Sgt. Adam Levine is handling the investigation. He and Davis are being assisted by Sgt. Delilah Pier-Rodriguez, Sheriff Carlos Carrizales Jr. and Chief Deputy Alden Southmayd.

Davis said Carrizales thanked the bystanders and deputies for seeing to it that no one else was hurt during the incident.

Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet