U.S. Senate and House members owe refunds to taxpayers
Apr 11, 2013 | 1022 views | 0 0 comments | 17 17 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Recently, as usual, congress did not set the tax rates for year 2012 until January 2, 2013. Therefore many taxpayers who have refunds did not have necessary forms eg. 1040 to file a timely return.

The U.S. Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service had to digest the new law and print the necessary forms.

Since IRS no longer mails forms automatic, I have either gone on-line or by phone to request the forms on January 2. In my case the estimated tax I paid equaled the tax owed so no harm done. But there are many taxpayers that get refunds, and since forms were not available their refunds were delayed.

There is a saying that to get one’s attention you “hit him in the pocketbook”. My suggestion is to add up all the refunds plus interest that taxpayers did not receive on time, take that amount, divide by the number of congress persons, deduct that amount from there salary and deposit in the U.S. Treasury. Additionally add on a misdemeanor fine for theft.

Maybe this year 2013, they will get their act together and have all tax laws passed by the beginning of fiscal period 2014 October 1, 2013.

Justin Szalwinski, Sr.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet