Second home invasion suspect will face robbery charge here
by Gary Kent
Jul 26, 2012 | 3439 views | 0 0 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Adrian Cortez
Adrian Cortez
EDNA — Authorities in Jackson County are saying it may be a while before home invasion suspect Adrian Cortez is sent to Beeville to face aggravated robbery charges.

The 21-year-old is one of two suspects who face the first degree felony charge related to a home invasion that took place in June on South St. Mary’s Street.

The other suspect, 21-year-old Joe Angel Arroyos, is in custody at the Bee County Jail facing the same charge.

Arroyos was arrested when Beeville Police Department officers, Texas Ranger James Bennett and deputies with the U.S. Marshal’s Service rushed a home here. The arrest was made without incident.

Officers had learned that their other suspect, Cortez, was already in jail in Jackson County.

Lead investigator in the case, Detective Sgt. Art Gamez, said at the time that it appeared it could be “some time” before Cortez is returned to Beeville to face the charge here.

Deputy Curt Gabrysch of the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said Cortez was arrested by the Edna Police Department on two counts of theft of property, $50-500. Those charges are Class B misdemeanors.

If convicted, Cortez could be sentenced to a maximum of 180 days in the county jail there and fined up to $2,000.

If convicted of the aggravated robbery charge here, Cortez could be sentenced to anywhere from five to 99 years or life in prison and fined $10,000.

Gabrysch said jail records showed that Cortez was born in Beeville but that he was living in Houston at the time of his arrest.

The deputy said it appears that Cortez is withholding a plea in the theft cases against him and staying in jail so that he can eventually be released on time already served.

But at that point, deputies in Jackson County said they will have the suspect sent to Beeville on a bench warrant to face the felony charge here.

The two men are believed to have been the ones who entered a home on South St. Mary’s Street in the wee hours one Sunday morning in June.

They awoke a 16-year-old boy and assaulted him with baseball bats after he was unable to quickly disconnect a computer in the room where he was sleeping.

When the boy’s grandparents went to check on the source of the voices in their home, the two men fled the scene.

Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet